Thursday, February 24, 2011

Challenge Accepted!

I'm not like most girls who train. I wasn't born an athletic superstar or even a modelately good athlete. On the contrary I've always been a little awkward, I frequently trip over things, run into things or injur my husband by hitting his face with the back of my head. Growing up my difficulties didn't stop there. I had a hard time keeping up with others in school and was more than a little uncomfortable in social situations. When I went to college I really came out of my shell, unfortunately living the college dream came with some unfortunate baggage (mostly to my gut and butt). 

Enjoying Spring Break in 2003

After college I moved to Arizona to pursue my masters degree and in an effort to lose the college weight I trained for a half marathon. What an amazing feeling it was to train for something like that! Unfortunately it didn't give my the look I was hoping for. No 6-pack or shapely legs to be found. Enter Tony, my then trainer and now husband. Tony taught me about eating clean and training with weights. I have to admit that I was more than a little resistant to start lifting weights. I didn't want to "bulk up". Now that I've been training for almost 2 years I can safely say bulking up isn't really a risk females run without maximum effort. I decided to enter my first figure comptetion in July of 2010 and I found it to be an incedibly rewarding expercience, except for one problem; people kept asking me how I got so skinny. I had to correct them, "No, no I'm not skinny, I'm shredded! Skinny is a word for girls who do 2 hours of cardio a day followed by weightless ab training." Friends weren't convinced. "No, April, you are skinny! How did you get so skinny?" Looking back, I confess I was very lean with little muscle to speak of.

Guilty as charged, skinny not too shredded.

 I have decided to enter another figure competition. My show, The West Coast Classic, is June 25th. So here we go. I am going to make the best progess of my life!
Goals:
1. I will take advantage of the next for weeks I have before show prep begins by eating plenty of clean carbs and getting a variety of protein.
2. I will eat at least 4 servings of organic fruits and veggies a day
3. I will add crossfit/plyos/kettlebell into my training routine at least once a week
4. I will think outside the cardio box
5. I will come into my next figure competition fuller with more muscle devolpment
                                                                  6. People will stop asking me how I got SKINNY!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment